Episelection: novel Ki approximately nanomolar inhibitors of serine proteases selected by binding or chemistry on an enzyme surface.Katz, B.A., Finer-Moore, J., Mortezaei, R., Rich, D.H., Stroud, R.M.
(1995) Biochemistry 34: 8264-8280
- PubMed: 7599119
- DOI: 10.1021/bi00026a008
- Primary Citation of Related Structures:
1BTZ, 1BTY, 1BTX, 1BTW
- PubMed Abstract:
- Solvent Structure in Crystals of Trypsin Determined by X-Ray and Neutron Diffraction
Finer-Moore, J.S., Kossiakoff, A., Hurley, J.H., Earnest, T., Stroud, R.M.
(1992) Proteins 12: 203
- 1.59 Angstrom Structure of Trypsin at 120K: Comparison of Low Temperature and Room Temperature Structures
Earnest, T., Fauman, E., Craik, C.S., Stroud, R.M.
(1991) Proteins 10: 171
- Difference Fourier Refinement of the Structure of Dip-Trypsin at 1.5 Angstroms Using a Minicomputer Technique
Chambers, J.L., Stroud, R.M.
(1977) Acta Crystallogr B 33: 1824
- Structure and Specific Binding of Trypsin, Comparison of Inhibited Derivatives and a Model for Substrate Binding
Krieger, M., Kay, L.M., Stroud, R.M.
(1974) J Mol Biol 83: 209
- The Crystal and Molecular Structure of Dip-Inhibited Bovine Trypsin at 2.7 Angstroms Resolution
Stroud, R.M., Kay, L.M., Dickerson, R.E.
(1972) Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol 36: 125
A novel class of mechanism-based inhibitors of the serine proteases is developed using epitaxial selection. Tripeptide boronates esterified by an alcohol or alcohols at the boron retain the tight binding to trypsin-like enzymes associated with transition ...
A novel class of mechanism-based inhibitors of the serine proteases is developed using epitaxial selection. Tripeptide boronates esterified by an alcohol or alcohols at the boron retain the tight binding to trypsin-like enzymes associated with transition-state analogs and incorporate additional groups that can be utilized for selectivity between proteases. Formed by reaction of a series of alcohols with the inhibitor boronate oxygen(s), the most structurally compatible alcohol-derivatized inhibitors are either selected by binding to the enzyme (epitaxial selection) or assembled by epitaxial reaction on the enzyme surface. Mass spectrometry of the derivatized boronates and X-ray crystallography of the complexes identify the chemical structures and the three-dimensional interactions of inhibitors generated. This scheme also engineers novel, potent (Ki approximately 7 nM), and more specific inhibitors of individual serine proteases, by derivitizations of compounds obtained by epitaxial selection.
Arris Pharmaceutical Corporation, South San Francisco, California 94080, USA.