New Architecture and Services Enable Faster Access to More Information
Recent architecture improvements provide faster access to RCSB.org content with improved page load times. Some of the more prominent changes are summarized below.
- New URL structure
- Structure Summary Page (SSP)
- 3D View
- PDB Statistics
- New REST services
Simplified URL Structure
RCSB PDB is moving to a new microservice-based architecture to better scale our services to accommodate growth and user demand, and to increase the speed at which we can deploy new services. In parallel, we are streamlining our URLs for easy access and sharing. The previous URL structure is still fully supported (for the time being) and will automatically redirect to the new URLs. Examples are below
Old URL Structure
- Home Page https://www.rcsb.org/pdb/home/home.do
- SSP https://www.rcsb.org/pdb/explore/explore.do?structureId=4dkl
- 3D View http://www.rcsb.org/pdb/ngl/ngl.do?pdbid=4dkl&bionumber=1
- Careers https://www.rcsb.org/pdb/static.do?p=general_information/about_pdb/contact/job_listings.html
New URL Structure
- Home Page https://www.rcsb.org/
- SSP https://www.rcsb.org/structure/4dkl
- 3D View https://www.rcsb.org/3d-view/4dkl/1
- Careers https://www.rcsb.org/pages/jobs
Changes to the Structure Summary Page (SSP)
Top-level SSP pages utilize the new microservice architecture to enable fast access to:
The 3D View now offers options for macromolecular-ligand interactions and X-ray electron density maps using NGL. Ligand interaction viewing options include hydrogen bonds, hydrophobic contacts, halogen bonds, pi interactions, and metal interactions. A 3D View User Guide is available.
Improved display of PDB statistics are available; including the distribution of structures released per year, and refinement software used.
Our new REST services are used internally to support these new features at RCSB.org. They are also available for public use. If you are interested in using these REST services or want to request a service, please reach via the Contact Us button.